Tuesday, August 14, 2007

I actually went into the ocean yesterday!

Now, anyone that knows me well enough knows that I am deathly afraid of sharks, hence I stay out of the ocean. The water felt so good yesterday that I couldn't resist. I haven't done that in years. Probably since I was a teenager. I was still nervous and the waves knocked me over more than once. My family thought that was hilarious. Laugh at mom's expense, hah hah.

We had a great time. Then we went to the pier after dinner and saw three stingrays very close to the shore. One was very big. Huge in fact. Of course they were about the same distance from shore as we were earlier that day, so I probably won't go back in that deep today. I tried to get some pics of them, but they were too deep in the water to see through the camera.

My mom and my sisters are almost here. They are spending the rest of the week with us. We haven't all gone away together in a year, so it will be nice.

Well, I am off to greet my family. Talk with you soon!

5 comments:

Susan Mo said...

Good for you for going into the ocean! I think anyone who is are age has learned to be afraid of sharks - I know that I still am! That darn movie really did make us afraid to go into the water.

It sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Seeing the sting rays sounds so cool. If you can get over the sharks, try swimming with sting rays some day. We did it in Grand Cayman, and it was amazing. They are really the most gentle creatures.

Have fun with your family. It is nice to be able to spend time with loved ones who live so far away. We live far from most of our family. It is truly special when we are able to see them, so I know how you feel. Enjoy every minute!

Connie said...

The hubby caught one a few years ago when we were down there. Pretty cool. I got some video somewhere of the kids boogie boarding and there were about 4 or 5 of them within 10 feet of them. It was pretty cool. I freak out about the jelly fish. You cant see them until they are right by you.

Have fun!!!!!

Melanie said...

Susan- I went in again today despite seeing the stingrays yesterday. I thought "what the heck?" I can't even bring myself to swim with dolphins. We are taking my daughter on a cruise next summer for her graduation present and they are planning on doing that. I will be the one videotaping from a safe distance. That movie really did do us some harm didn't it?

Connie- Someone caught a Mecko (?spelling) last night on the pier. Makes me not want to go into the ocean. If my kids were that close to sharks I would be freaking out. The whole island would hear me screaming.

P.S. I had a margarita for you last night. ;)

Dick said...

I think we are going to Hawaii for a week or so this fall. I love to snorkel there but always have those shark thoughts in the back of my mine, too. Pat has never been to Hawaii so it should be fun and with lots to see & do. She doesn't swim or go in the water at all so my snorkeling will probably be limited.

Melanie said...

Dick- Hubby wants to go to Hawaii. We will plan on going for our 30th anniversary. I'm with Pat about the snorkeling. I did it once, but I don't think I could do it again. I can't wait to see your pics.