Wednesday, January 27, 2010

S.C. Lt. Governor likens benefits to feeding stray animals

Yet another politician has opened mouth, inserted foot.

“My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed. You’re facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don’t think too much further than that. And so what you’ve got to do is you’ve got to curtail that type of behavior. They don’t know any better.”

Even I think that this metaphor was uncalled for and way out of line. I think somewhere deep down in the recesses of his feeble mind, he feels like he has the right idea. Mr. Bauer is my age, so I'm not going to chalk it up to being young and naive. Yes something needs to be done about our current welfare system, no argument there, but for a public official to speak in such a manner is appalling and disrespectful. There are ways to talk about this ongoing problem and this is not it. Do I believe there are people on welfare that don't need to be? Absolutely. Is the system getting abused? Daily. Would I ever compare any of these human beings to stray cats? Never. He said he didn't care about being politically correct, he just wanted to be honest. I think there is middle ground between being "PC" and being an ass. I would like to think I am one of those people who speak from a middle ground perspective. I don't like to sugar coat things, but I am above being malicious. He later said he regretted using that metaphor. You think?? One problem with his speech is that he is not going to be taken seriously about a very serious issue that is sucking this country dry! He did make some very good points in each speech though like:

"We are a compassionate people, and we will always take care of those who are truly needy, as we should. But there are also those who are NOT truly needy, merely lazy or greedy, who are taking advantage of the system. And, unfortunately, the system is actually designed to encourage them to take advantage of it."

and:

"Spending is out of control. When we waste tax dollars on those who are just lazy or taking advantage of the generosity of the American people, we have fewer dollars available for the truly needy or the hard working families who find themselves in hard times."

I'm afraid the message was lost in his opening remarks.

He announced plans to run for governor and he stated he will not always be politically correct in his campaign, but he will always be honest.

We shall see how that works out for him.

2 comments:

Orion said...

*laughs* Oh dear.
See, I found the comment amusing - an awful lot of people in the world ARE little more than stray animals, accomplishing little more than 'turning good food into shiite' to steal a phrase (and butcher it)...

But yeah, you just can't say that in politics, for sure.

Orion

Melanie said...

I am not saying I don't agree with his concept, that's for sure. Just the way he went about it. Not a good political move for him.