Friday, January 08, 2010

I've decided that I may not hate children

I hate their STUPID parents!!!! I really have a problem with this generation of parents and their parenting skills (or lack thereof). Now let me go on the record by saying I DO NOT believe in spanking. I grew up in a household with an alcoholic father who was quite mean at times. I am one of six children so by the time my sister and I (the youngest) came along he had mellowed quite a bit. My 3 older brothers took the brunt of his parenting skills (or lack thereof). My father grew up in an extremely abusive household where his mother escaped in the only way she thought she could, suicide. My father never really learned how to love, not in the way he should anyway. That is why I cannot and will not spank, because I fear turning into my father and going overboard. Now my are older almost 20 and 16 and they are the most well behaved brilliant children. I would like to think I had a tiny bit to do with that and the fact I have much better parenting skills than my father. He managed to teach me one thing in that respect (how NOT to parent). I learned that if I did the complete opposite of what he would have done, I got a much better response. We all grew up fearing my father. I did NOT want my children to fear me.

Having said that, I don't know if this new bunch of parents fear the same or what, but they are a too lax in my opinion. They never want to tell their children the word "no." It's like it's not even in their vocabulary! And they do this at the expense of everyone around them!!! They let their children run around and scream like banshees, tear stuff up, and just act completely crazy all the while saying things like "don't do that honey" in a soft spoken voice no doubt!!! They don't seem to care that they are disrupting everyone around them. Their child is and angel. You're child is a DEMON!!!

Don't get me wrong I do love children. I love MY children. I tolerate everyone elses.

Had to get that off my chest today. I have so many pet peeves, but this is a big one!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Diane said...

I couldn't agree with you more Mel. The reasons why I chose never to lay a had on my children was, luckily for me, the opposite of yours. I had two extremely loving and competent parents who managed to raise me without ever having to hit me and I never, ever feared them. I feared letting them down if ever I got into trouble but that is an entirely different thing.

Just as many people tell me that if I do not believe in a religion then I believe in 'nothing' (what utter crap!), many people seem to believe that if you never discipline your children with violence or the fear of violence then you never discipline them at all. Again, what a totally ridiculous assumption.

My children are now 19 and 21 years old and I could not have wished to have raised two more awesome, respectful and downright lovely young adults. As you know, a mutual friend who met them a few months ago, a friend whose opinion we both deeply respect, agreed with me wholeheartedly.

We both did a damn good job Mel, in the most important roles of our lives x

Melanie said...

Thanks Diane :) I think we did a wonderful job as well :)